First off I’ll just say I don’t measure my spices for the sauce, I’ll call it the Italian in me but I just add a little here give it a taste and add a little more as needed, but I tried to give it some measurements best I could.
This is what most Itilians would call a Sunday supper, but I’ve cut it down to be a anyday meal how ever it’s not one of my fast fixes. This one does take a little longer than most weeknight meals
Prep Time 30-45 Mins Cook Time 1hr
- 1 Lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 1/4 Lb. or 2 Links hot Italian sausage ( I used chicken but you can use pork)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Package frozen spinach cooked and squeezed dry (make sure you get all the moisture out)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
- Form into meat balls any size you would like cook time will vary based on size.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20-40 mins depending on size. ( should be cooked through and nicely browned) flip them 1/2 way through cooking time.
Sauce Ingredients ( I like to double this recipe and freeze 1/2 of the sauce)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes ( I like San Marzano)
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Minced garlic ( as much or little as you like) WE LOVE OUR GARLIC!!
- 1/2 Tbsp. each dried oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh basil & 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar to finish off.
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add garlic and onions and cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to low simmer.
- Add wine and all herbs except fresh basil & vinegar.
- Simmer on low for 45 mins, Once meat balls are done you can add them to the sauce during the simmering time if you would like. I feel this gives them more flavor and keeps them moist.
- In the last 10 mins of cooking add basil and vinegar
- Serve over your favorite pasta cooked, or you could also make these and have meatball sandwiches.