This chili was started with a WW recipe that I changed up a bit to make it to my own. By using the creamed corn instead of the butter and oil for the cornbread you cut a lot of the fat. Total of 6 servings each serving is 11 smart points.
Prep Time 20 Mins Cook Time 30 mins
- 1 Lb. Extra lean ground turkey
- 1 Med onion chopped
- 1 Med bell pepper chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic
- 2 Cans black beans
- 1 Can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. each cumin, garlic powder, oregano, & marjoram
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup cilantro chopped
- Hot sauce of choice
- Cheese for topping
- 1 package corn bread mix (you can use any my favorite is the Marie Calendars low fat one but it’s hard to find)
- 1 Can cream corn
- 1 egg
- Milk or water ( just enough to wet the cornbread mixture a few splashes)
- Pickled jalapeños chopped
- 1/2 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese
To Make the Chili:
- Add chopped onions & bell pepper to stockpot with a little pam and cook until translucent 3-5 mins.
- Add garlic and brown for about a min.
- Add turkey meat and brown.
- Once meat is browned add spices cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add tomatoes and sauce bring to a boil.
- Rinse and drain beans and add to chili.
- Simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Add cilantro in final 2 mins of cooking.
For the Waffles:
- Combine cornbread mix with creamed corn, egg and a few splashes of milk or water.
- Add jalapeños and cheese to cornbread mixture.
- Cook waffles in waffle iron in batches you can keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.