Nothing better than coming home on a rainy night after a long day at work and having a nice BIG pot of soup ready to go for dinner.
Prep Time 20 mins Cook Time 6 hours
- 4-5 chicken breasts (depending on size)
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 6 Cups chicken broth ( I use low fat reduced sodium)
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chili’s
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 Cups reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Toppings: fresh chopped tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeños, tortilla chips.
- Place chicken in crockpot top with tomatoes, chili’s, & jalapeño.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan once melted add garlic cook for 2 mins.
- Add flour and whisk until light rue forms 2-3 mins.
- Slowly mix in chicken broth and bring to a boil, once smooth and thickened remove from heat.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with forks either in crockpot or on a cutting board.
- Add cheese and cook on high for 30 mins to melt cheese.
- Serve with any desired toppings, we like to enjoy it with a salad.