Prep Time 15mins Cook Time 25mins
- 4 packages instant white grits
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Juice of a lemon, about 1-2 Tbsp.
- Fry the bacon in a large sauté pan on medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and chop. Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of the fat. Turn off the heat.
- When the bacon fat is hot, sauté the onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bacon, garlic cloves and shrimp and toss to combine. Let this cook another minute.
- Add the chicken stock and let this boil down for 5 minutes.
- Microwave Grits according to package once done add cheese and butter to grits. The dish might not need any more salt, but add some if you’d like.
- To serve, spoon out some grits in individual bowls. Add to the shrimp the green onions, parsley and lemon juice to taste. Spoon some shrimp over the grits and Serve at once. Top with hot sauce if desired.